The Box of Books 1

I

Where to start in a box of books

on the floor, is where 
the gin of your lips exactly
as pillows are, as curtains are
when missing: this is Maximus 
Poems IV, V, VI

we are nowhere, there is no I

if two on the floor, with gin on your lips was
enough, we’d be three?
       Gin
For Gin
       For
       Gin
Back in the box of books I remember
mystery, the full-clothed

offer, the daily tea of grace
drink, has made us, brave:
I count such shapes this evening in the universe.





paradise alley (some country roads 
have trees growing and the road 
turns in such a way it is special  
for a few feet
from A NOTE ON THE ABOVE by Charles Olson


I: II

Some country roads can't cry for the dead they make
I saw a badger
never did I see one alive and this country road
turns out dead things a fox,
a small baby
rabbit of fur and no eyes left

slow down the country road and get out

a badger is hiding from you a rabbit
will show itself and the fox
is the perfect shape of a fox stands still
runs to the wood of cars
and brick to be demonised for scratching
a baby, a baby, a baby

there are no women running
away from foxes

One Daughter
and Each the Father
of Him-Her-Self

unless they're born in Texas.

I: III

A (       ) thing in the forest -

all the women, all the women
of Texas flock towards it

they think a (         ) thing is just what they need

they believe men are filling them up
in fear and isolation without
such necessary mountings

we are here, we are here, they cry
through a word so (        ) they dare not spell it
or it go (        )

the women of Texas are not only from Texas

the (       ) thing in the forest
is a church
it plays music in its graveyard
it plays music in their (          ) as they arrive
like priests
to be visited by sin/s

the (      ) thing pulls back
it shows them the soft dead
it shows them men

cannot fill their graveyard (          )

or forgive them for
everyday confrontations
such as cross my path.

I: IV

You haven't asked about the dress I'm wearing?
Why would you ... you
have other thoughts in your car diving

towards the end of the world. 








No comments:

Post a Comment